Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 2036
Evanston, IL 60208
Ph.D. Metallurgy, University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign, IL
B.S. Physics, University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign, IL
Functional Thin-Film Materials
Our group investigates the deposition, structure, and properties of thin-film ceramic and semiconductor materials. Fabrication techniques include sputter deposition, molecular beam epitaxy, ion-assisted deposition, and colloidal deposition.
Solid-oxide fuel cells can provide pollution-free, efficient electricity generation. Our thin-film approach allows cell operation at much lower temperatures than do conventional bulk devices. We are studying the effects of electrode structure and composition on electrochemical fuel and oxygen reactions. Recent work has been focusing on new anode materials for use with fuels such as natural gas and propane.
We are investigating novel transparent conducting oxides containing alternating doped and undoped layers to improve conductivity and optical properties. Glancing-angle ion beams are being used to control atomic scale surface and film structures.
We are studying ultrahighhardness protective ceramic coatings composed of many alternating nanometer-thick layers. Issues of interest are the layer stability, formation of metastable phases, and enhanced mechanical properties.
- Fellow, American Vacuum Society (AVS), 1998
- Department Teacher of the Year, 1993
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 1986
- Barnett, S.A.; Zhan, Z.; Bierschenk, D.M.; Cronin, J.S., “A reduced temperature solid oxide fuel cell with nanostructured anodes”, Energy & Environmental Science, (2011)
- DM Bierschenk;JR Wilson;SA Barnett, “High efficiency electrical energy storage using a methane-oxygen solid oxide cell”, Energy & Environmental Science, (2011)
- JS Cronin;JR Wilson;SA Barnett, “Impact of pore microstructure evolution on polarization resistance of Ni-Yttria-stabilized zirconia fuel cell anodes”, Journal of Power Sources, (2011)
- DM Bierschenk;E Potter-Nelson;C Hoel;YG Liao;L Marks;KR Poeppelmeier;SA Barnett, “Pd-substituted (La,Sr)CrO3-delta-Ce0.9Gd0.1O2-delta solid oxide fuel cell anodes exhibiting regenerative behavior”, Journal of Power Sources, (2011)
- BL Stevens;CA Hoel;C Swanborg;Y Tang;CL Zhou;M Grayson;KR Poeppelmeier;SA Barnett, “DC reactive magnetron sputtering, annealing, and characterization of CuAlO2 thin films”, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology a, (2011)
- Barnett, S.A.; Voorhees, P.W.; Shah, M., “Time-dependent performance changes in LSCF-infiltrated SOFC cathodes: The role of nano-particle coarsening”, Solid State Ionics, (2011)
- JD NICHOLAS;SA BARNETT, “Measurements and Modeling of Sm0.5Sr0.5CoO3-x-Ce0.9Gd0.1O1.95 SOFC Cathodes Produced Using Infiltrate Solution Additives”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, (2010)
- W KOBSIRIPHAT;BD MADSEN;Y WANG;M SHAH;LD MARKS;SA BARNETT, “Nickel- and Ruthenium-Doped Lanthanum Chromite Anodes: Effects of Nanoscale Metal Precipitation on Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Performance”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, (2010)
- ... , JR Wilson, M Pillai, I Kim, SA Barnett, “Syngas Production By Coelectrolysis of CO2/H2O: The Basis for a Renewable Energy Cycle”, Energy & ..., (2009)
- JR WILSON, AT DUONG, M GAMEIRO, HY CHEN, K THORNTON, DR MUMM, SA BARNETT, “Quantitative three-dimensional microstructure of a solid oxide fuel cell cathode”, ELECTROCHEMISTRY COMMUNICATIONS, (2009)