Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and (by courtesy) Mechanical Engineering
2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 2036
Evanston, IL 60208
Ph.D. Physics, University of California at Berkeley, 1977
M.Phil. Physics, University of Hong Kong, 1973
B.S. Physics and Mathematics, University of Hong Kong, 1971
Our research is in the area of surface science, tribology, design and characterization of hard coatings and thin films.
We are interested in understanding how surface interactions affect friction and wear, especially in different temperature and environmental conditions.
Our work in hard coatings focuses on the synthesis, characterization and applications of hard coatings in computer disk drives, dry machining, ultralow friction and various high-temperature tribological applications.
We are also designing thin films and materials with excellent infrared reflection properties, for use in automotive and aviation applications.
- Fellow, Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers (2005)
- Innovative Research Award, ASME Tribology Division (2002)
- Fellow, American Vacuum Society (2000)
- National Storage Industry Consortium Technical Achievement Award (1999)
- Fellow, ASM International (1998)
- Visiting Fellow, Japan Society for Promotion of Science (1997)
- Ralph A. Teetor Engineering Educator Award (1991)
- ASME Tribology Division Best Paper Award (1990)
- Faculty Honor Roll (1990)
- Teacher of the Year in MSE (1986, 1991)
Significant Professional Service
- Member, Hong Kong Research Grants Council
- Member, University Grants Committee
- Editorial Board, Tribology Letters
- Editorial Board, Materials Science and Engineering R
- Secretary, AVS Advanced Surface Engineering Division Executive Committee
- Program Director, Civil and Mechanical Systems Division, National Science Foundation (2003-2005)
- Chair, AVS Advanced Surface Engineering Division (2004)
- American Vacuum Society Board of Directors (1/1998 - 12/1999)
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Tribology (1997-2003)
- Director, NSF/IUCRC Center for Engineering Tribology (1987-1992)
In the Classroom
In addition to teaching regular classes in materials science and engineering, Prof. Chung is involved with the development and teaching of one core course (ISEN 220, Introduction to 21st Century Energy Systems) for the Institute of Energy and Sustainability at Northwestern. He is also involved with the Wanxiang Fellows Program, a study-abroad activity that allows selected Northwestern students to learn about sustainable energy and green technologies in China.
Christina P. Twist, Afif M. Seyam, Changle Chen, Myung-Gil Kim, Michael P. Weberski Jr., Ning Ren, Tobin Marks, Y. W. Chung, Q. Jane Wang, "Molecularly-Engineered Lubricants: Synthesis, Activation, and Tribological Characterization of Silver Complexes as Lubricant Additives," Advanced Engineering Materials 14, 101-105 (2012)
Y. W. Chung, Jane Wang, Oyelayo Ajayi, Girma Biresaw, Jian Cao, Diann Hua, Walter Lapatovich, Wing K. Liu, Arun Majumdar, Farrukh Qureshi, Dong Zhu, "Transformative research issues and opportunities in energy efficiency," Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science 15, 16-19 (2011)
W. M. Silva, V. J. Trava-Airoldi, Y. W. Chung, "Surface modification of 6150 steel substrates for the deposition of thick and adherent diamond-like carbon coatings," Surface and Coatings Technology 205, 3703-3707 (2011)
M. E. Fine, S. Vaynman, D. Isheim, Y. W. Chung, S. P. Bhat, C. H. Hahin, "A new paradigm for designing high-fracture-energy steels," Materials and Metallurgical Transactions Materials and Metallurgical Transactions 41, 3318-3325 (2010)
Won-Jong Lee, Wen-Jui Chia, Jinliu Wang, Yanfeng Cheng, Semyon Vaynman, Morris E. Fine, Y. W. Chung, "Role of surfaces and interfaces in controlling the mechanical properties of metallic alloys," Langmuir 26, 16254-16260 (2010)
Alpana N. Ranade, Christopher Fulton, Jill E. Seebergh, Mark Nichols, Jeffrey Remillard, Michael Graham, Y. W. Chung, "Synthesis, structure, and optical properties of Au–TiO2 composite thin films," Thin Solid Films 519, 1490-1494 (2010)