Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 2036; Office - Cook 2083
Evanston, IL 60208
Ph.D. Materials Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
M.S. Electronic Materials, MIT, Cambridge, MA
B.S. Materials Science, MIT, Cambridge, MA
Our focus is on the properties of polymer surfaces and interfaces, with an emphasis on the adhesion of "soft materials." Examples range from traditional pressure-sensitive adhesives (sticky tape) to highly specialized polymeric gels commonly used in biomedical applications.
There is little understanding of the relationship in these systems between polymer adhesion and the structure of the interface on molecular or submolecular scale. We seek to make this connection through studies of well-characterized model systems synthesized in our own lab and through carefully designed fracture mechanics experiments.
Related problems of interest to us include polymer/inorganic composites and the origins of adhesion and mechanical response in biological systems.
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2002
- NSF Young Investigator Award, 1994–99
- Department Teacher of the Year, 1995
- McCormick Adviser of the Year, 1998
- Y. S. Velichko, J. R. Mantei, R. Bitton, D. Carvajal, K. R. Shull and S. I. Stupp, “Electric Field Controlled Self-Assembly of Hierarchically Ordered Membranes”, Advanced Functional Materials, (2012)
- K. O. Hewlett, J. L'hote-Gaston, M. Radler and K. R. Shull, “Direct measurement of the time-dependent mechanical response of HPMC and PEO compacts during swelling”, International journal of pharmaceutics, (2012)
- N. O. Shanti, G. C. DeNolf, K. R. Shull and K. T. Faber, “Liquid Desiccant Solvent Extraction of Alumina-Filled Thermoreversible Gels”, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, (2012)
- K. A. Erk, J. D. Martin, Y. T. Hu and K. R. Shull, “Extreme Strain Localization and Sliding Friction in Physically Associating Polymer Gels”, Langmuir, (2012)
- K. J. Henderson and K. R. Shull, “Effects of Solvent Composition on the Assembly and Relaxation of Triblock Copolymer-Based Polyelectrolyte Gels”, Macromolecules, (2012)
- Y. Sun, K. J. Henderson, Z. Jiang, J. W. Strzalka, J. Wang and K. R. Shull, “Effects of Reactive Annealing on the Structure of Poly(methacrylic acid)-Poly(methyl methacrylate) Diblock Copolymer Thin Films”, Macromolecules, (2011)
- D. Carvajal, E. J. Laprade, K. J. Henderson and K. R. Shull, “Mechanics of pendant drops and axisymmetric membranes”, Soft Matter, (2011)
- LW Chow;R Bitton;MJ Webber;D Carvajal;KR Shull;AK Sharma;SI Stupp, “A bioactive self-assembled membrane to promote angiogenesis”, Biomaterials, (2011)