Peter W. Voorhees
Frank C. Engelhart Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
2220 Campus Drive
Cook Hall 2036
Evanston, IL 60208
Ph.D. Materials Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
B.S. Physics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY
We are involved in research that employs theory, simulation, and experiment in areas from nanotechnology and energy to four-dimensional microscopy.
We are developing descriptions of semiconductor nanowire growth using both phase field simulations and theory.
We are examining the dynamics of phase transformations in 3 dimensions and a a furnction of time.
We have performed experiments on the coarsening of solid-liquid mixtures on the International Space Station. The analysis of the samples is continuing.
Finally, we are developing computational methods that allows the evoution of the atomic scale of mateirals to be followed on diffusional time scales.
- Fellow, The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, 2013
- J. Willard Gibbs Phase Equilibria Award, ASM International, 2013
- Fellow, American Physical Society, Material Physics Division, 2005
- Highly Cited Researcher, Institute for Scientific Information, 2002
- Fellow, ASM International, 2001
- Materials Science and Engineering Teacher of the Year, 1999
- Outstanding Referee, Acta Materialia, 1998
- ASM International Materials Science Division Research Award (Silver Medal), 1992
- McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science Award for Teaching Excellence, 1992
- Acta Metallurgica et Materialia Outstanding Paper Award, 1991
- Materials Science and Engineering Teacher of the Year, 1989, 1990
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award, 1989
Significant Professional Service
- Frank C. Engelhart Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, 2000
- National Science Foundation Creativity Extension, 1999
- Voorhees, P.W.; Johnson, A.E., “A phase-field model for grain growth with trijunction drag”, Acta Materialia, (2014)
- Thornton, K.; Voorhees, P.W.; Gulsoy, E.B.; Park, C.-L.; Fife, J.L., “The dynamics of interfaces during coarsening in solid-liquid systems”, Acta Materialia, (2014)
- Thornton, K.; Voorhees, P.W.; Park, C.-L., “Application of the level-set method to the analysis of an evolving microstructure”, Computational Materials Science, (2014)
- Lu, Yunxiang; Kreller, Cortney R.; Adler, Stuart B.; Wilson, James R.; Barnett, Scott A., “Performance Variability and Degradation in Porous La1-xSrxCoO3-delta Electrodes”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, (2014)
- Voorhees, P.W.; Gulsoy, E.B.; Duval, W.M.B.; Hawersaat, R.W.; Lorik, T., “Coarsening in solid-liquid mixtures: Overview of experiments on shuttle and ISS”, Materials Science and Technology Conference and Exhibition 2013, MS and T 2013, (2014)
- Voorhees, Peter W.; Gulsoy, Emine Begum; Shahani, Ashwin J.; Gibbs, John W.; Fife, Julie L., “Four-dimensional morphological evolution of an aluminum silicon alloy using propagation-based phase contrast x-ray tomographic microscopy”, Materials Transactions, (2014)
- Voorhees, Peter W.; Gamalski, Andrew D.; Ducati, Caterina; Sharma, Renu; Hofmann, Stephan, “Twin plane re-entrant mechanism for catalytic nanowire growth”, Nano Letters, (2014)
- Voorhees, Peter W.; Davis, Stephen H.; Muralidharan, Srevatsan, “Nonaxisymmetric droplet unpinning in vapor-liquid-solid-grown nanowires”, Journal of Applied Physics, (2013)